Our rocket-stoves journey
We have a journey of rocket stove building at Bhudeva… first it was the first rocket stove (bedroom, 2011), then fixing it (2012) then the second one (living room, 2012) and rebuilding the first one (2014).
We cook food and bake on both rockets most of the winter time.
It’s time to try a next step – we are going to rebuild the one in the living room, this time we are going to make it even more efficient and add a heated bench for two on it :).
We are open to make it as a mini-workshop where you can come over and learn by doing.
We will be building a rocket stove with a small mass attached to it and a place for sitting / reading / resting. It will be an opportunity to learn what were the limitations of the previous design (and why they were introduced in the first place) and the considerations that went into the new design. We will be building a typical rocket core with an attached brick chamber with some cob to add more mass and bring it altogether. It is a tight design that will fill a tight space.
You will have an opportunity to:
- Learn about rocket stove design,
- Participate in all stages of construction,
- Meet the materials and the tools involved,
- Spend some time at and learn about Bhudeva.
All within the settings and limitations of a traditional Romanian village house.
The build/workshop is estimated to take place in 15-17 of June 2018. The workshop time is Friday (half day), Saturday (full day) and Sunday (until 16:00). If you’ll join us, please arrive sometime Friday until 13:00 (so we can have the second part of the day for working).
There are 5 places available for participants. Sleeping will be in tents (there is plenty of space). The price for the workshop is 540 lei / participant. We are asking for 200 lei in advance (bank deposit or transfer), when registering, for booking your place. The rest will be paid cash at Bhudeva.
Please acknowledge that English is the communication language at Bhudeva.
We are assuming you will want to stay at Bhudeva, however there may be other options one of which is a new pensiune just outside the village (a few minutes drive) which has recently opened its doors to visitors.
If you do choose to stay with us, here are a few things you may wish to know:
- You will be camping in a tent (that you need to bring with you). We do not yet have built structures to house other people. We have one small house which is a private space and we prefer to keep is that way, for now.
- We have one composting toilet in the house. If you stay here for a few days or more, you will learn not just to use it (make contributions) but also learn to care for it (emptying it in our humanure hacienda).
- We have a small outdoor kitchen. We are inviting you too cook together or, if this doesn’t suit you, please bring your own food. If we will cook together, you are invited to bring with you some of the next produce: “bob lung” rice, spaghetti pasta, avocados, honey from verified source (we’ll coordinate this by email).
- We eat mostly vegetables and fruits, with some dairy productions and eggs. Most of it locally (in the village) produced.
- We intend to be doing everything together: working, cooking, cleaning. We’ll see how this flows.
Visiting Bhudeva, you are going to encounter also our solar dryers, earthbag cellar (we are now at the green roof preparation), hugel beds, solar panel or other things we play with and experiment here.
If you’re interested to partake please write Iulia at iulia [dot] sara [at] gmail [dot] com… in English and include your phone number and the questions you want to be answered before coming to the workshop (and maybe during the workshop, if you already have something in mind).
Iulia and Ronen