With the stove complete and the chimney positioned, I was finally able to make the roof penetration for the chimney and complete the roof!
The first thing to do was to figure out the shape of the hole. This video answered that question:
So with a template in hand … I drilled through the center point we marked on the inside surface of the roof and went up and placed the template:
Marked it out with chalk:
… and with a stuttering jigsaw (that decided for the first time in almost a decade to malfunction) I was able to cut the hole and saw the chimney base looking up at me:
I placed one segment in place to see how things aligned (the real test):
… and it was situated nicely in the hole (though I hoped it would have reached higher … but I am no longer surprised by gaps between specifications and real-world fittings). So I added the second segment … and the chimney went through the roof:
A first fitting of the flashing went well but indicated that another row of shingles needed to come underneath the flashing:
… but from there on it was relatively smooth work. There was bit of figuring-out when the shingles met the flashing … it was a good idea to keep the hole-template … it was useful twice more in marking shingles for cutting:
The day before Iulia and I loaded a lot of shingles up onto the roof (knowing that Iulia would be away) … so I was able to relax into undisturbed flow of shingle installation:
I finished most of the surface that same day. The next day I brought up some more pieces and completed the surface:
Cut, tested and completed installing the ridge pieces:
… and all of a sudden it was done … the roof was complete! That came with a feeling of both relief and emptiness.
This was followed by some slightly disheartening days during which we tried firing the stove and got poor-to-mixed results. With every tweak we made it became more clear to me that the internal channels of the stove were drafting well but the chimney was not … and as a result choking the stove.
Until the last firing … during which I made a fire in the upper chamber, just under the chimey exit (I did this through the cleanout that gives access to the upper chamber). I let that fire build and burn until the chimney was warm to the touch and smoke was regularly flowing ou the chimney … and THEN started a fire … and, to my relief, it burned wonderfully, cleanly, with no smoke inside and very little exhaust through the chimney:
I underestimated the role that the damper plays as a bypass inside the masonry stove. Though we’ll see how this all works when the stove dries and the structure around it is complete.
We are expecting delivery of another chimney segment to extend the chimney height well past the roof ridge … and we have a rain&wind protection hat that goes on top … but that is proving difficult to install.
We still haven’t baked a bread in it … maybe in a few days 🙂
I feel like my understanding of fire, drafts and chimneys has been refined. I have a more subtle appreciation for the “active” engine that drives rocket stoves (regular or batch) in comparison to a slightly more “passive” burning like this in the masonry stove.
… and this year feels complete and done! We may still be able to do some work related to the summer kitchen, but this will probably be small peripheral things … mostly preparing for flowing well into work again next spring.
So this update is likely the last for this year … until next spring 🙂
2 replies on “Summer Kitchen Renovation Part16: The Chimney”
It’s been a few months since you guys posted about the kitchen. I hope life is being good to you .
Cheers, Mark from America
Hope ya’ll are doing okay dealing with covid. I am looking forward to reading part 17. Cheers from America.