After winding down from the full-house weekend … we got back to our “regular schedule”. Marta stayed with us a while longer and helped us get almost to the finish line.
We were excited to finally get to level 21. Here we are passing over the front arch for the first time:
When we finished that wall segment we finally got to pull out the forms … and … it was exhilarating to unveil the self-supporting arches … so simple, powerful (the more we weight we put on it – and we will be putting on quite a bit – the stronger it gets!)and beautiful (I’m really glad we decided to give arches a try!):
Yesterday we finished, with Marta’s, help going all the way around the structure and were left with only with two small segments of the outside wings.
Today Iulia and I went out and completed those two small segments – counting down the last of 6 sacks … and suddenly the the last can is tossed up, the last sack is placed down … the last tamping … earthbag walls were complete!
Fascinating journey from a crater to a structure… made of the same earth we dug out!
We are now waiting to see if we can get the acacia logs we want to make into a roof (our preferred option). If we do, they will be freshly cut and will need some time to cure … meaning that we won’t be able to place them on the structure before winter. If we don’t get the logs we will rever to plan B: regular 2×8 to build a flat roof. That may still happen in the coming weeks.
Depending on the weather we may be able to get some more primary rendering work done … but that is optional … maybe continue with the electrical wiring … I am relieved and satisfied we got this part done … much to share … too tired to do so now.