Today I spent almost the entire day with a breathing mask on my face and an orbital sander on my hand. Sanding was more difficult then it can/should be because I am using green (undried) wood … all we could get our hands on. Green wood does not respond well to planing – some of the wood fibers escape the cutter while others get torn out (more then necessary) … which ultimately leaves more sanding work. This will improve with time as the wood continues to dry naturally. I’ve completed the first sanding (the roughest sanding) of the bottom cabinet parts … which means that tomorrow I’ll be able to put the front facing parts through a second (more delicate sanding) and then into at least one layer of finishing (maybe even two if the sun is out and the water-based finishing dries fast enough).
I took a small break to help Andreea and our neighbor in preparing a huge load of cabbages for pickling … we now have a 120 liter plastic barrel filled with cabbages going through their first phase of pickling. They will require some attention over the next 10 days … and after that we will have loads of cabbage for winter.
Andreea is continuing preparations for the course and the birth of what promises to be a unique book for Romanian women.
Dinner (mamaliga) is cooking … I’m tired and hungry … signs of a day well spent 🙂