Updates from June, 2016 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • iulia 8:59 am on June 2, 2016 Permalink |  

    elderberry (soc) flowers syrup 

    last week when we made the strawberries jam I also started to make elderberry syrup.

     

    I was searching the internet for recipes. I knew the basics from my mom and grandmas… but not details. never made it on my own from A to Z.

    found different recipes with different styles of cooking, quite different quantities for the ingredients.

    Step ONE: collect and clean flowers

    I collected a LOT of flowers – the red and blue big plastic containers were full.

    while Ronen was keeping the jam to cook, I was separating flowers from their stems. this was a looooooong proces – some good hours.

     

     

    Step TWO: maceration

    I put flowers. added lemon juice and boiled water, to sit for five days.

    there were two big glass jars and the biggest pot were full with flowers. I put juice from two lemons in each of the jars, from four lemons in the pot.

    I mixed the contents each day, during the five days, at least twice a day.

    the next day after assembling these contents I felt like adding more lemon juice: the same quantity as the first round, in each of the containers.

     

    Step THREE: cooking

    yesterday we got to the cooking phase, rocketing again.

    I filtered the liquid which was already yellow and beautifully smelling of elderberry flowers. squeezes the flowers.

    used the plastic sieve and white cloth (my mom brought us for bread covering) for sieving. there was 15 l of liquid.

    added 6 kg of white sugar and put it to boil. the big-tall pot was full to the top.

    this resulted in 18 l of syrup, not so thick.

     

    Step FOUR: bottling

    we then sterilize and cook the bottles again.

     

    what I’ve planned to be around 4-5 litres of syrup (at the moment Icollected the flowers) it got to 18 l :).

    that was quite and estimation… we have for some years now!

     

     

     

     

     

     
  • iulia 7:53 am on June 2, 2016 Permalink |  

    strawberry jam 

    we did this last week…

     

    ingredients: 10 kg of strawberries from Ildi and Levente, 1 kg of white sugar, 600 gr of raisins (mixed: gold and brown) and juice from two big lemons.

    first we cleaned the strawberries, put them to sit for one day, with sugar.

     

    in the last phase of boiling I mixed it a bit, to make it a bit saucy and still have the beautiful chunks in it :).

    the whole thing resulted in 8 big jars, 9 small and 3 little ones…. and a bit of extra for our first taste… in a Bhudeva cake.

     

     
c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
e
edit
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
shift + esc
cancel