Yesterday I started more woodworking … but got tired after a couple of hours. So the rest of the day yesterday and today have been days of rest (as much as possible … since even cooking and washing dishes are still not obvious tasks).
I know my life life has changed when I find myself sitting in a small plastic bathtub, bathing at the end of the day while chicks and ducks are walking by, some stopping for a drink of soapy water and a dog is insisting on gaining your attention behind you.
Now sitting down to write the first full post I’ve written in months.
Did some final cutting (based on real rather then planned measurements), sanding and assembling of the base (action the top half of the base) of our shower stall. Very happy with the progress of this woodworking project – also all from salvaged lumber.
Andreea (with a little help from me during breaks) de-podded 5kg of green peas freshly picked by our neighbor while in the background our impro-rocket-stove cooked another 40 cobs of corn also freshly picked. Corn and peas are freshly bagged and tucked into the freezer that was delivered just yesterday 🙂
The wood-stove oven is now working on a Pizzaliga (our invention of a pizza like thingy based on mamaliga). It took forever to bring this day to an end … but we are almost there. Time to to sit down for food and a movie … the room is already nice and cozy.
The kitchen shelves are assembled. Woodworking wise the result is OK – I hope to improve. Functionally it is amazing. It has tons of space and is sucking up loads of things which were in a mess all over the place.
Minutes after the shelves were put in place our delivery of a freezer, washing machine and vacuum arrived.
The rest of the day off … it’s (another) holiday – they seem to have loads of single-day ones scattered all around.
Yesterday and today were mostly woodworking – focusing on our future shower stall. I am recycling wood that we took apart from large grain containers that were in our barn. It’s a lot of work sorting through and cleaning up (lots of planing) the old one and its hugely satisfying to fin beautiful clean wood underneath and to know that it cost us nothing. I got most of the pieces for the shower stall cut. Today I used glue for the first time to create composite pieces (more on that when I get to writing extensively about the shower project).
with a stroke of pure talent I cut the planer wire by running over it with the planer. So I spent some time getting the wire parts out of the planer and then soldering the wire back together. First time around I didn’t insulate the wires properly so that caused our primitive Romanian fuses to blow … which was a great opportunity for Andreea to teach me how to fix a fuse. The simplicity of old Romanian solutions is both hilarious and amazingly reliable.
Tomorrow expecting satisfaction – putting together the kitchen shelves which are drying after lingering in finishing for 4 days (oil based finishes dry really slow!) … and that should sort out the ongoing mess we call our kitchen.
Oh … and our neighbors sold their cows … very sad. We loved their fresh milk. We’re still getting fresh milk from other neighbors … but we miss the milk we got so used to.
Built an improvised stand for placing freshly finished pieces of carpentry to dry (yesterday they were on my saw horses but today I needed the sawhorses for something else). Started importing and tagging hundreds of pictures that have accumulated in the camera to tell our story – preparing to start blogging again 🙂 Now a little WordPress coding to make these short updates possible. Then a bit more tagging and then out to do some more planing (now that the saw horses are free).
Though it isn’t apparent on here Bhudeva is in full swing … we have no Internet connection yet (and are having difficulty getting one!) … which means we are spending most of our time doing physical work. We hope to get around to writing and showing more soon … here are some highlights:
- We moved out to the village completely last weekend.
- We drove across Romania and came back with a car full of 10 chicks, 1 mother duck, 7 ducklings, sacks of wheat, corn, cornflower, nuts and a few plants …
- We built and are using a composting toilet.
- We cleaned a night-time chicken coup and built a day-time one for the chicks to roam.
- We have a working gas cooker and a refrigerator.
- We have a clean well … now working on getting running water into the house.
- We are sleeping indoors on the floor on a pile of carpets, a wool mat … soon we hope to have a raised and healthy bed/matress.
We are now in the city in a coffee-shop with an internet connection – preparing for a day of shopping and roaming the city.
There is endless work but we have a lifetime to do it … so … we hope to be back partially online soon
I’m going to be referencing Forest Gardens quite a bit and this video, which I should have posted long ago, is a good introduction by Martin Crawford of Agroforestry UK