A house that was built in the late 80’s using Christopher Alexander’s Pattern Language … how sweet to hear the talk of simple, natural, real unfolding:
“there was never a real set of plans … it evolved and its part of a philosophy, you wait until you get in the context and then you decide … does the window go here? does the windo’ go there? … its real easy on a drafting table, miles from the site to go ‘ok, we’ll put the window right in the middle’ … but when you get there you go ‘lets see, riiiiight there’s the view'”
some pictures here
I enjoyed this video of a house that was apparently built (~40 years ago?) by a pioneering thinker (Lloyd Texley, the former head of science for the Omaha Public School District). It gives a good idea of what is possible and I can only imagine what additional improvements and potentials lie ahead:
What a wonderful skill … beautiful work with a basic element and basic tools. I can imagine something like this being built over eathbag walls (though I don’t know about using it for an underground roof that may carry alot of weight … will it hold?)
The only place we’ve seen sunshine for the past … oh … I don’t know … at least a week, maybe two … was on a video call with Annelieke in Portugal. And this is what the 10 day forecast looks like:
This is that time of the year where the sun can be absent for weeks and the temperatures drop … and the theory of passive solar design simply cannot deliver. We simply cannot rely [for warmth during our winter months] on a daily cycle of solar charging and discharging.
That shortcoming hit me during the first winter at Bhudeva … and that is why I got excited when I discovered Passive Annual Heat Storage which is about creating a YEARLY cycle of charging abundant summer warmth and discharging it during winter.
After winding down from the full-house weekend … we got back to our “regular schedule”. Marta stayed with us a while longer and helped us get almost to the finish line.
We were excited to finally get to level 21. Here we are passing over the front arch for the first time:
When we finished that wall segment we finally got to pull out the forms … and … it was exhilarating to unveil the self-supporting arches … so simple, powerful (the more we weight we put on it – and we will be putting on quite a bit – the stronger it gets!)and beautiful (I’m really glad we decided to give arches a try!):
Yesterday we finished, with Marta’s, help going all the way around the structure and were left with only with two small segments of the outside wings.
Today Iulia and I went out and completed those two small segments – counting down the last of 6 sacks … and suddenly the the last can is tossed up, the last sack is placed down … the last tamping … earthbag walls were complete!
Fascinating journey from a crater to a structure… made of the same earth we dug out!
We are now waiting to see if we can get the acacia logs we want to make into a roof (our preferred option). If we do, they will be freshly cut and will need some time to cure … meaning that we won’t be able to place them on the structure before winter. If we don’t get the logs we will rever to plan B: regular 2×8 to build a flat roof. That may still happen in the coming weeks.
Depending on the weather we may be able to get some more primary rendering work done … but that is optional … maybe continue with the electrical wiring … I am relieved and satisfied we got this part done … much to share … too tired to do so now.
Iulia was a way for a few days and I took the opportunity to do some initial finishing tests.
Then Iulia came back and brought with her a wave of people. We’ve just been through a full weekend here at Bhudeva. Christina and Marta came out to help in the final levels and they were joined for one day by Luci and Stefan. We’ve completed 19 and are two-thirds into 20.
It was moving to see 5 people on and around the walls working in two teams … until this weekend I could only imagine what this might look like.
AND the day felt way more productive then the already productive work we did get done … because soon after as we started level 20 … Iulia and Chritina got to work on this sack:
… and when they laid it down and, after tamping, it met the top of the arch, it became clear to us that 21 would be the last level … and the idea of level 22 disintegrated and we were suddenly another level closer to finishing the walls:
If all goes well we should be finished in a few days. Our fingers are still crossed that the acacia logs for the roof will be cut down soon and that we can get them to Bhudeva and get them on before winter.
The day before yesterday we finished level 18. Yesterday we started level 19 by putting in the ventillation pipes (for air flowing out of the two rooms). We cobbed them in place and then continued to work aroud them.
Today we focused on the arch above the entry door … and we started by adding two more arch pieces on each side until we were ready for the last 3 sacks that cap the arch.
… and cap it we did
I am soooo looking forward to taking out the forms … but holding off until we add the final layer on top of the arches 🙂
I thought we would be able to finish with 21 levels … but now that the first arch is complete and the highest point is set it looks like we will need to go up to 22.
Iulia is going away for a few days … after which we hope we will be able to finish before deep frosts settle upon us (temperatures are dropping rapidly).
If all goes well (we will in the coming days) we wil have acacia (strong and rot resistant) logs to cover the entire roof … keeping our fingers crossed that we will be able to close the cellar before winter!