wow what a day … sooooo many things happened all at once … is was a tractor day … Florin our fantastic
tractor bulldozer guy was here for a day 🙂
the main project was covering the raised beds with earth … where did we get the earth you ask? from our small new lake of course 🙂 more words and images to come on this ongoing project … when that was done we had him move over one of our piles of hay and a pile of fertilizer we had sitting next to the barn (from last year when our neighbors cows were housed in it) … both to be used on the raised beds.
in the background both our neigbors were busy hand-plowing / tractor plowing, seeding their fields in straight lines … there was a huge contrast between their tried-and-true traditional methods and our mostly-uknown-somewhat-rebellious methods … if our efforts work (as I expect they will) this time next year we will be drinking coffee (or conducting some other strange experiment) while they will be doing the same hard (for them and for the land) work … as they have been doing for years …I’m very curious 🙂
as he was finishing this part of the work the mayor appeared to ask if he could steal him for half an hour (which turned out to be almost 3 hours) … and got a quick tour of some of our experiments 🙂 we also had a chance to show him Cutia Taranului so that hopefully he too can spread the word.
when Florin finally returned we fed him (poor guy was starving) and got back to work:
- scratching weeds and some top-soil (leaving bare surface) of an area of a field near the raised beds … that is for an experiment that Andreea has in mind … I don’t know enough about it yet 🙂
- closing some of the open ditches from last years water infrastructure installation
- digging a new ditch and hole for our grey water treatment,
- uprooting lots (~50) young ash trees all around the house.
- discovering and uprooting large surfaces of concrete that we discovered just under the surface of the ground.
- carrying the uprooted out to the field
- digging 40+ holes for the trees in what will be an initial wind-break and property line.
so lots of stuff … very satisfying, rewarding and much happiness … and though the tractor did most of the work we are dead tired … it’s been a long day … the wood-boiler is fired up … looking forward to a warm shower.
tomorrow we plan to visit the market in the morning … then we’ve been invited to another customary post-death-pre-funeral meal at a neighbor whos mother passed away tonight … and sometime very soon we need to go back out and plant all the uprooted trees lying in open holes in the fields … rains are expected during the weekend … perfectly times to saturate the beds, water the trees … all around greatness 🙂